Wednesday, August 20

Recipe | Grown up Rice Krispy Treats


This post was only made possible by my all time favorite food blogger, the one and only Deb Perlman of Smitten Kitchen. She is like the mother I never had for all my baking/food related needs.


Don't get me wrong. I love my mother more than the world, and I owe that woman everything. But she could not bake to save us from an impending alien invasion. If it were up to her baking a simple batch of chocolate chip cookies (that's not from scratch) to save us, we might as well start waving white flags now.

You never know, the aliens might be nice like E.T. :)




I remember when I first started baking/cooking, I didn't know that 1 cup of flour and 1 cup of milk were two different measurements (don't worry, I got that sorted out already). I also didn't know the sheets of lasagna pasta had to be cooked first, before baked in layers. My cooking/baking expertise has come a long way through much trial and error, and am extremely proud (and excited) to show you guys!


    The Ingredients
       (source: Smitten Kitchen)

     Batter:
     4 ounces unsalted butter,
     plus extra for the pan

     1 10 ounce bag of marshmallows
     ¼ teaspoon of coarse salt
     6 cups Rice Krispies cereal
     (about half a 12-ounce
 box)


     The Instructions
  1. Butter (or coat with non-stick spray) an 8-inch square cake pan with 2-inch sides.
  2. In a large pot, melt butter over medium-low heat.It will melt, foam, then turn clear golden and finally start to turn brown and smell nutty. Stir frequently, scraping up any bits from the bottom (they're the best part). Don’t take your eyes off the pot because the period between the butter taking on color and the point where it burns is less than a minute.
  3. Once the butter becomes a nutty color, turn off the stove and stir in the marshmallows. The residual heat from the melted butter should be enough to melt them, but if not, turn it back on low until the marshmallows are smooth.
  4. Remove the pot from the stove and stir in the salt and cereal together. Quickly spread into prepared pan. I use a piece of parchment paper to press it firmly and evenly into the edges and corners.
  5. Let cool, and cut into squares :)

Remember to follow me on
 &    &   

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for your comment! I can't wait to hear what you have to say :)